A number of factors should be taken into account by a person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) in deciding what first aid arrangements need to be provided.
An employer must ensure:
- provision of and access to first aid equipment and facilities
- that an adequate number of workers (or other persons) have been trained to administer first aid.
First aid requirements may vary from one workplace to the next depending on:
- the nature of the work
- the types of hazards present
- the size, location, number and composition of people at the workplace
All of these factors should be taken into account by a PCBU in deciding what first aid arrangements need to be provided, including the number of trained first aiders who should be available to administer first aid at the workplace.
Keep emergency phone numbers handy for the following services:
- fire service
- doctor and ambulance
- Poisons Information Centre (13 11 26)
Further advice can be found in the First Aid in the Workplace Code of Practice